Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Columbus Day Weekend Cereal & Croup!






I was so looking forward to my 3 day weekend - it never turns out how you plan does it?
Friday when I picked Nathan up from daycare he had a 100 degree temp. So I took home a fussy & fevered baby. He was very cuddly and DID NOT sleep that night. We were up so many times we lost count. The next morning he still had a slight fever but seemed to be feeling better. This whole time we are thinking - teething. So we take him to get his Halloween photos Saturday morning (which were adorable!) and then come home. Still has a fever that is getting higher! It was rainy and cold so we stayed in Saturday and Sunday. Nathan was irritable, feverish, crying and needy all this time. So Monday he was acting much better. I took him to day care for a 1/2 day and painted our downstairs bathroom. I got him and we ran a few errands and then came home to get ready for work and school on Tuesday.
Tuesday morning arrived and during the night he developed this awful dry cough. He was crying and you could just tell feeling rotten. His temperature then dropped from (101 to 99)to 97! Jason and I decided that it was time that he saw the doctor. So I stayed home with him and we saw the doctor Tuesday - it was croup! I didn't even know this was a real medical condition. Thankfully the treatment was exactly what we had been doing - Tylenol. His temperature at the doctor was 96.7 and he weighed 16pounds even. Since the fever was gone he was no longer contagious and was able to return to school Wednesday.
He was still up during the night - so we have yet to get any decent sleep since last Thursday. We are pretty much walking zombies. I had a co-worker mother console me because she thought I was crying out of exhaustion when it was really my eyes were so tired they were watering! It was an amusing moment for me! Thanks for the humor Lindsay!
On a better note - Nathan started rice cereal this weekend. After the initial gagging on the first feeding, he's been doing much better. I was told that the first few weeks of "solids" is more "practice" than anything - I think it's practice to spit it out! He's getting most of it down in the end though and is learning to open his mouth when the spoon comes at him. It's messy business though!

No comments: